Mt. Kenya Excursion
“The gladdest moment in human life, methinks, is a departure into unknown lands” Sir Richard Burton
Mt. Kenya Excursions
Chogoria Route is considered the most scenic and rewarding route, to the summit at point Lenana Peak 4985m. The route allows for a comfortable hiking pace with spectacular and magnificent views of Lake Michaelson, Giant’s Billiard Table and Gorges Valley. Descent is through Sirimon route or Naro Moru route.
Instructions: You may experience attitude sickness due to acclimatization of high altitude in this Safari. At night you may experience discomfort because of a reduction in your waking breathing pattern, your body gets less oxygen than during the day. Taking altitude into account, you may therefore start feeling sick and have a headache. Pay attention to your own body and tell your guide if you start feeling any symptoms of altitude sickness.
We strongly recommended you heed the following instructions on Starting the Safari:
- Abstain from consuming alcohol and caffeine.
- Drink over 4 liters of bottled water daily (little by little, frequently).
- Take a Diamox pill to help alleviate symptoms of altitude sickness. Most mountain climbers take Diamox in the morning, before they start their ascent, in order to reduce discomfort associated with altitude sickness. We recommend you consult your doctor prior to the trip in case of potential allergies.
All our safari can be customized to meet our client needs.
On arrival you will be picked by our representative who will brief you on the safari and take you to your hotel (Nairobi Airport Home Stay) and take a rest for the night. Early in the morning you will depart to Nyanyuki town and the mountain base, arrive in time for lunch after which you will meet a mountain support crew and receive an on site briefing from your guide. meals and overnight will be spent at the hotel.
After breakfast you will have a drive to the Sirimon Park gate (2660m) to start the climbing. From the gate, we trek up through magnificent montane forest, bamboo and giant heather zone before reaching the high altitude moorland and our first hut (Old Moses camp 3,300m) for dinner and overnight. This is a gentle trek that takes 3 – 4 hrs gaining an elevation of 680m.
After breakfast, follow the track uphill, forking right at the junction. You will cross Ontulili River before turning right contouring through the Moorland and crossing Likii North River and continue uphill to Mackinders Valley, Here You will be amazed by by the breathtaking views up the valley towards the Shipton Camp. Resident population is of Rock hyrax and sun birds.
On this Day you will have a guided walk to the ‘Temple’ which is a 150 meters vertical cliff and in the afternoon take a walk to the most scenic lake Michaelson. Dinner and overnight will be at Mintos Hut.
Early in the morning at around at 3.am you will wake up and take your breakfast after which you will start your Climb towards point Lenana to reach in time to catch the sunrise. And have spectacular photographic opportunity. You will then descend to Mt Kenya bandas along the gorges valley where you can enjoy good views of The Temple, Lake Michaelson, Mushroom rocks and Giant billiards table. You will have dinner at Mt Kenya bandas where you can enjoy log fires, hot showers and bed overnight.
Today you will hike down through the rainforest to reach Sirimon Gate 2650m where you will connect with your transport vehicle to Chogoria town for Lunch and continue back to Nairobi or proceed on an adventure safari.
- Park fees(For non-residents)
- All activities(Unless labeled as optional)
- All accommodation(Unless listed as upgrade)
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation(Unless labeled as optional)
- All Taxes/VAT
- International flights(From/to home)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips(Tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items(Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees